3/29/2011

Autism Awareness Month In 3 days

Just some of my thoughts today.......
I am not sure you all know that Autism Awareness Month is April and I am going to try to post as many post about Autism as I can this month. There are so many families that have been impacted by this disorder and it is still not recognized as it should be. If you go into Walmart during Breast Cancer Awareness Month (or any other time) you are able to find items all over to represent that, but not Autism. I would wear an awareness shirt everyday if I had enough, I would buy the pens, the decals, the coffee mugs everything. Dont get me wrong I am a supporter of Breast Cancer Awareness also, I just want options to do have both. I have taken the time to make my own shirts but hey its just not the same. Hopefully I will see a difference each year as to the amount big companies like Walmart help out this much needed cause but until then I guess I can email and ask and hope someone listens.


I live in such a small town that now our local Autism Society Group is basically shutting down due to lack of particiation. We have meeting monthly and usually its only 3 of us there. There are plenty of families in our group just no one really wants to be involved. I am not really sure why since I am only in my second year I have not even been able to meet most of the families. Its so sad that we could have all this support and could really bring more awareness to autism if others would be willing to help out. The 3 of us that do take part in the group are planning on doing a bulletin board at our public library for the month (last year I did it myself). I wish I had the time to direct the group myself but if you dont really have a group what are you to do.



If anyone has any ideas that I could use to bring awareness to our small town please leave me a comment, remember I will be doing this alone. Some quick links if you need more information on autism






No comments: